Friday, March 18, 2011

Mothers and daughters

I am drawing near to the opening of the gallery show and editing is about to release me form it's clutches. I could not possibly of imagined the adventure this work would be or the amount of introspection it would inspire. Revisiting a culture I adopted at the age of five, and one that was so limiting for a young woman has made me reexamine my own perceptions and attitudes.
Like the women in my film, my relationship with the culture that I was raised in is complex and while I have tried to divorce my own bias from the film, delivering my truth of a time and place I experienced has been really important in this process.
My mother's journey through Ireland has been something worth examining, and I have found that it has given structure to a narrative that is unwieldy and broad. Her path raises questions that I think all cultures could do to look at. Hopefully the film will convey these questions without providing answers or suggestions, just experience and history.

No comments:

Post a Comment